This morning I took a snap of my windowsill for you! I’ve been collecting little wooden things for a while, and I don’t really know what to do with them except line them up. I love multiples of things!
Ok, left to right:
1. Funny chipmunk babushka which I bought last summer in India.
2. Tall doll, which was turned on a lathe by a man outside Glasgow, and painted by me for an exhibition. I wanted to find a small company to make them, but still can’t find anyone.
3. Traditional babushka, which I think I picked up years ago in Prague. They are such beautiful things, and you can use them to put little secret keepsakes in.
4. Little carved wood tree, bought from Thorsten van Elten when he had a shop on Warren street.
5. Tiny green tree babushka – I can’t remember for the life of me where I got these trees.
8. and 9. More traditional little babushkas. I love the tiniest one– it’s like a miniature skittle.
10. Rocking horse, bought in Orkney strangely enough! Actually I think that’s where I got those dark green trees, a tiny Christmas shop in Stromness!
Ok the other side now:
11. After another chipmunk
12. A turned bird also painted by me for the same show.
13. Large carved tree, which are made in Erzgebirgische Germany where they also make those amazing nut crackers!
14. and 15. More babushkas
16. A dala horse I got in Copenhagen, although they are originally from Sweden. Find out about their history here: dalahorse.com/dala_horse_history.html
17. Little tree I made, painted, and wrapped with wool. I still really want to do something with these wooden pieces, so watch this space!
Collections of the same type of things always look really nice together, don’t you think?